Agency Application and Transfer

Agency Application Process

The first step in obtaining licensure in Kentucky starts at the Certificate of Need (CON) office. They will determine if the services you are wanting to develop are needed in the commonwealth.

You may find additional information about the Certificate of Need Office here: Certificate of Need (CON) Office

Once you have obtained your Certificate of Need you will need to contact the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services (KBEMS) Director of Field Operations at or at 859-256-3565, so we can assist you through the remaining process.

Once you have obtained a Certificate of Need, you will also need the following items to become licensed in Kentucky.

  • Agency Application - This application needs to be completed, printed, signed, and submitted to KBEMS.
  • Geographic Service Area - An agency must submit an accurate map and a written description of its geographic service area within the Commonwealth
  • Administrative Regulations - The agency must be fully compliant with all administrative regulations and must be physically inspected prior to a license being issued(link to inspections)

Change of Ownership (License Transfer)

A change of ownership for licensees shall be deemed to occur if more than fifty (50%) of the assets, capital stock, or voting rights of a corporation or provide is purchased, transferred, leased, or acquired by comparable arrangement by one (1) person from another.

If a new application for a license is filed due to change of ownership, the new license shall be issued for the remainder of the current licensure period.

Full disclosure must be made to the board of the changes, including:

  • Each Person having direct or indirect ownership interest of ten (10) percent or more in the service
  • Officer and directors of the corporation, if the service is organized as a corporation
  • Partners, if a provider is organized as a partnership

There are a great deal of legal requirements for the proper transfer of a license from one entity to another. In order to assist with the transfer, please contact the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services at or 859-256-3565.

Ceasing Operations

There are times that agencies must cease operations. Licensed agencies must notify the Kentucky Board of EMS as soon as they are aware that they are going to cease operations. The Kentucky Board of EMS must ensure that the citizens of the response area you are evacuating are covered by Emergency Medical Coverage.

Please submit the following form to the Kentucky Board of EMS as soon as you are aware that your service may be ceasing operations.

Cease Operations Form

If you have any questions, please contact the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services at 859-256-3565 or