KBEMS has mandated that all emergency medical responders be trained in the recognition and prevention of pediatric abusive head trauma, commonly called shaken baby syndrome, as required by KRS 311A.120 and KRS 311A.127.
Effective December 31, 2015 all emergency medical responders must maintain documentation of completion of a KBEMS approved PAHT course that is less than five years old.
Continuing Education Hours vs. Meeting the Requirement for PAHT Education
Only KBEMS approved courses will be accepted for the completion of this requirement.
KBEMS Approved Options for the PAHT Course
KYEMSC worked with Dr. Melissa Currie, a physician who is board-certified in Child Abuse Medicine and is Kentucky’s leading expert in the treating abused children, to develop a course that meets the requirements for PAHT education. This course is offered free of charge. Current EMS Educators are eligible to complete a train-the-trainer course to offer this class to providers in their area. Classes are typically offered 2 times per year, in the spring and fall.
If you are looking for a KYEMSC PAHT course, you will find the list of approved instructors on the KBEMS website, EMSC section, PAHT page. You can contact an instructor in your area to inquire about upcoming classes. If requested by the instructor, classes will be listed on the KBEMS News & Events page.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Click here for KYEMSC Approved PAHT Instructor list.
1. KY Department of Criminal Justice Training PAHT Course – you must supply appropriate documentation of completion to fulfill your EMS requirement for PAHT education with this course.
2. Courses Approved by the KY Board of Nursing - KBN-approved courses may be used to fulfill the PAHT education requirement and for continuing education credit.
Below are some of the courses we are aware of. This is not an all-inclusive list. If you locate another course that appears to be KBN-approved, please let us know so we can verify the course and add it to our list.
You only have the authority to offer this course for credit to EMS personnel. Courses for other target groups must be approved by their governing body.
Nurses - Kentucky Board of Nursing
Law Enforcement - Department of Criminal Justice Training
Day Care Providers - Cabinet for Health and Family Services
I agree to abide by the following guidelines and stipulations when teaching the Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma (PAHT) Course developed by Dr. Melissa Currie and administered by KYEMSC:
1. I shall not nor shall I allow the slide set to be altered.
2. Photographs are to be carefully controlled and are not to be posted or shared through any means, electronic or otherwise, unless you receive written permission directly from KYEMSC or Dr. Currie.
3. Handouts, printed for class, are not to include photographs.
4. A template/sample roster and certificate are provided for your use. You may use other forms, but they should be substantially similar to those provided.
5. All courses taught shall be registered with KYEMSC as directed. (Current process noted below.)
b. Complete the registration form for PAHT courses
6. Completed rosters must be submitted to KYEMSC within 15 days following the course.
7. Through this agreement, instructors may only provide continuing education credit to EMS personnel as covered by 202 KAR 7:601.
8. I understand and agree that my name may be included on a list of approved instructors for this course and may be posted publicly.
The program sponsored by KYEMSC utilizes course materials developed by Dr. Melissa Currie. We appreciate her support and guidance on this important topic.
In sharing these course materials with us free of charge, Dr. Currie has requested that they not be used directly for profit. She has clarified that you may use them in the normal performance of your duties "on the clock", i.e. you are a training officer or inservice instructor for your agency and that TEI's may incorporate this course into existing EMT and Paramedic programs as long as there is not a separate fee for this specific program. You must obtain permission from Dr. Currie for any other use.
Please contact Morgan Scaggs if you have questions regarding this program or instructor materials.